Celebrating the new academic year
Welcoming new students to Lyngby
Every year about 5,000 new students arrive at the various educational institutions in Lyngby, and a total of about 16,000 study in Lyngby, with DTU representing the largest educational institution. The students are a great asset to the city, which is why the City of Knowledge and Urban Development has taken the initiative to celebrate the beginning of the academic year each September.
The idea draws on inspiration from local student organizations as well as university towns around the world and brings together local educational institutions, associations, the business community, city retailers, and the municipality. The objective is to strengthen the city’s profile as a university town and welcome Danish and international students to the city.
The initiative originates from the Network for Urban Development and Trade.
The City of Knowledge is involved in a number of activities, which are designed to create a strong link between the city of Lyngby and the campus and integrate the students into the everyday city life. A number of partners are planning several activities to celebrate the beginning of a new academic year, including:
- ‘Lyngby City Map’ which gives an overview of the city and its surroundings including popular bike rides, hiking and running trails.
- Welcome banners in English and Danish at various strategic locations in the city centre to welcome students to Lyngby
- An introduction to Lyngby’s many interesting spots for culture, sports, shopping, urban life and nature
- ‘Biketown Showdown’ – a non-profit bicycle project where students buy secondhand bicycles and learn about safe traffic on two wheels at an open-air event, September 16th.
- ‘Lyngby Day’ – an orientation race around city where students get to see the best cultural and natural spots of Lyngby.
The celebration of a new academic year targets students at all the educational institutions located in Lyngby-Taarbæk Municipality.
Educational institutions in Lyngby-Taarbæk | Polyteknisk Forening | Cphbusiness Students | Private businesses | Kgs. Lyngby Business Association | Det Grønne Område | Lyngby-Taarbæk Municipality
Pictures from previous years